Monday, October 26, 2009

BYU Homecoming 2009

Without going into any painful details about certain outcomes of certain football teams which lead to certain painful feelings and near expletives coming out of a certain blogger's mouth.... I'll just skip that part and go on to the parts of homecoming which were fun. My sister Lori and I, along with my good friend Tanille, signed up for the BYU 5k Homecoming Race this last Saturday. I got the start time wrong (I thought it started at 9:00 am but it didn't start until 9:45) and so we decided to wander over to the ESPN Game Day broadcast that was going on by the stadium. It was pretty neat to see all the hullabaloo, but I'm glad I wasn't trying to elbow my way closer to try and get on camera. We liked to stay in the back and read all the funny signs from other people.




After the Game Day stuff, Lori and I ran over to get in our race. That race is so hard! I've run the same route 3 times (they use an almost identical one for the Rex Lee Run in March) and the big hill in the beginning (up University Ave to 900 E) is so hard! Puker hill for sure. I did not puke, but I went at it way to hard and as a result I almost puked trying to finish the race. Most people get their second wind around the third mile, I did not. I finished the race with a time of 24:50, which was better than I was expecting since I was hurting so badly. That time is only 8 seconds slower than what I ran for the 4th of July in Idaho. Go me! I might (and it's a big might) do one more race this year for Thanksgiving, but we'll see. One interesting thing was that I saw the guy who sold me my running shoes from Runners World at the race. He came in second place. Another cool thing was that because I'm in a new age category (25-29 now instead of 18-24) I placed 9th in my age group, and 58th overall. Pretty cool huh? This is me finishing the race. I tried to sprint, truly I did, but I don't think I accomplished much.

After the race we went to the Homecoming Parade. Evelynn was convinced that the parade would through candy and chocolate milk, because that's what happened at the last parade we went to. Unfortunately we were at the very end of the parade route, so we got ONE piece of candy and no chocolate milk. Oh well. The parade was short, which was very nice. Evelynn got to give Cosmo a high five, and Eloise waved at all the grandma's in the fancy cars. It was a good morning.

After the parade we went home and napped and prepared for the game.... which I won't go into. So my post is done.

1 comment:

  1. We went to the parade too! But we were in the middle, near the duck pond, and got a TON of candy, but no chocolate milk ;) I keep having to hide the candy so my kids won't gorge and go nuts on me! Congrats on placing in your new age bracket!

    ReplyDelete