Wednesday, August 31, 2011

First day of school! First day of school!

"I don't wanna go to school. Five more minutes!"
"Not you Dad, me!"

This was us yesterday, sort of, except I'm Mom, not Dad, and no one in our family is a fish. Anyway, Evelynn started Kindergarten yesterday. She is in Mrs. Jensen's PM class, which means she goes to school 12:30-3:30 pm. I would have blogged about it yesterday but after I dropped Evelynn off at school I went and did errands with the other two munchkins for 2.5 hours, and then only had 30 minutes or so until Evelynn needed to be picked up, so I skipped it for the day. But yes, Evelynn is officially in school. It was weird, because today was harder for me than yesterday. Yesterday it was new, exciting, an adventure. Then last night I was thinking over what I had to do today and I realized I had to take her to school again, and from now until May, and from May until 12 more years. Then it officially became "real" and not another summer activity. I did not cry, and I haven't yet, but I reserve the right to cry later, if I have to. It helps so much that Evelynn is SO ready for school, and I'm ready to send her in a lot of ways, the least of which is because it will give her something to do everyday that is not just picking on her sister. We've been having major sisterly love problems lately, and I think everyone will benefit from a break from each other. Evelynn walked right in on the first day, and walked out again three hours later with a big smile on her face. I asked her what she did in class and she said she didn't remember anything except making her "crown" (a hat with the word HERO on it decorated with stars) and playing on the playground, so I guess it was a successful first day. I remember not learning anything in my first day of college classes, so it must be similar in kindergarten.

When we went to the open house on Monday, Eloise was really impressed with the whole set up. She kept asking where her classroom was, and when I explained that she couldn't go to kindergarten until she was 5, she begged and begged to turn 5 on her next birthday so she could go too. It was cute, but heartbreaking. She wanted to be like her sister so much. Yesterday she also asked constantly when we would go pick up Evelynn, today she hasn't asked once. I think she likes having one-on-one mommy time and also getting to pick her movie all by herself. :)

My first choice of school time for Evelynn was the AM time slot, but they had too many people requesting AM so they kindly phoned me and asked to bump me to PM. I said yes, and in many ways I'm glad I did. This makes it so I don't have to disrupt our morning routine, which usually starts at 7:15-7:30 every morning. If we had to be to school at 8:00 AM everyone would have to be up by 7:00, and even that would be pushing the limit of my abilities to get three kids up, dressed, fed, and out the door on time, not to mention my patience. But the only problem now is Evelynn constantly asking when school is going to start, me telling her, and then her saying "But that takes for a loooonnng tiiiiiimmmme!" every, single, time. But we've muddled through for 2 days now, so hopefully the other 150ish days won't be so bad.

Doug asked me if I had taken any pictures, and I said yes. Two shots right before we left for school. I was planning on taking more when we got to class, but I had Michael, Eloise, the diaper bag, my keys and 40 other kids and their parents milling around waiting to go into class, and so the opportunity for pictures did not arise. Oh well. Here's the ones I did end up taking. I have no idea where this kid gets her attitude.




No comments:

Post a Comment