The random thoughts, occurrences, events, and updates in the Jacobson family life, as documented mostly by the wife and mother, Geneen, and maybe sporadically by the father and husband, Doug.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
One month, no sugar!
I did it. One month with no sugar (well, to be accurate, one month with no cookies, ice cream, candy, goodies, or anything really that had more than 11 grams of sugar in a serving). I did have sugar-free Popsicles, some all fruit fruit roll ups, and I bought a quart of sugar free ice cream, but I never finished it because it made my stomach hurt. So in other words, I didn't cheat, at least not really. If you all consider that cheating, well that's OK. I won't hold it against you :). After one month of this, I have lost 5.5 lbs, so just over a pound a week, and the first week I didn't lose anything. I did not change my exercise habits (still running and lifting weights, but I didn't push it), or my diet at all (1800 calories was the goal, but it usually fluctuated above that) outside of the no sugar. It was definitely a character building experience for me! I had so many dreams of accidentally cheating by eating doughnuts, cookies, and ice cream and feeling terribly guilty when I woke up that my husband began to think that this might not be good for my psychological health. But the one thing I have learned is that I can do it, and I think I'm going to continue it! I've planned one time a month for at least the next three months when I will splurge and have sugar and then I'll go back to having no sugar. I feel good, and it doesn't seem hard to continue on. I don't feel like I'm depriving myself (at least not too often!) and the results are definitely worth it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love ice cream. Mike and I make ice cream and buy way to much of it. I still had a few pounds I wanted to lost. So to reach my goal we started making shakes with lowfat milk and real fruit instead of the ice cream so we cut out a lot of the extra sugar and fat we were adding to our diet. It was amazing we both lost about 4lb this past month. We got the idea from you so thanks.
ReplyDelete