The random thoughts, occurrences, events, and updates in the Jacobson family life, as documented mostly by the wife and mother, Geneen, and maybe sporadically by the father and husband, Doug.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
No Sugar, on week 2!
For those of my faithful readers who didn't know, I have gone off sugar for at least a month. No, I'm not insane, dying, diabetic etc. I just wanted to do it to see if I could lose these last pesky pounds that have been hanging around long enough. The first week was tough, but this is the end of my second week without sugar, and I must say it has been MUCH easier this week even though more temptations were presented to me. We went to a family dinner where one of the side dishes was jello (which always seems too innocent because heck, it's just jello!), and then there were lots of cookies and such all around. But I have discovered one thing that is very important. Making and keeping this goal has been very empowering for me. I have the power to say no to sugar, which is something that I did not think I had. Sugar was a big deal in my life. Before my goal began, I thought that I could not say no to sugar, and I know I always ate more than I wanted when sugar was present. Even when I recognized the point where I could say "If I eat any more I will feel sick and regret it" I would still go for more. It was very depressing to feel like I did not have control over my body and it's cravings. But now, only after two weeks, I can say "No thanks" and mean it! It makes me feel tough, awesome, in control. It's wonderful! Don't get me wrong, I still crave a chocolate chip cookie like nothing else, but the point is that I can say no! The other thing I have discovered is that people think I am stronger than them. I can't count how many people after I have told that I'm not eating sugar and they say told me "Oh, good for you! I could never do that!" It makes me so sad to hear that, because it's only true as long as you say that. I watch the show The Biggest Loser and something that everyone says is that they made up so many excuses to not be healthy and work out that they defeated themselves before they started. One guy this season said he was amazed before how he "didn't have enough time to work out" but still managed to put in 3 hours of TV a day. I feel the same way about cutting out sugar. I was guilty of saying that I couldn't do it, so I didn't. I would justify eating less sugar for a few days and then snap and eat a ton. I would say well as long as I can still stay within my calorie range, it'll be fine, but I couldn't stay within range because I would get so hungry. Sugar made me more hungry. Now it's a lot easier to stay within my target calorie range. I know it's only been two weeks, but I feel better. So to all of you who say you can't do it, be honest with yourself. Yes you can do it! Anyone can! The problem is, do you want to? Will it be a benefit for you? For me, the answer was yes, it would benefit me more than continuing on the course I was on. So I did it. It's been awesome to know I have that kind of power. What kind of power do you want to have?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kudos to you, Geneen! That is awesome!
ReplyDelete